Friday, December 11, 2015

Quantitative Performance Improvement Studies in Dance

In the past few days, I have been pondering about how to get my students to perform better.  My training as a Scientist and Engineer drives me to seek an efficient and scientific way to train my students in Classical Ballet.  Qualitatively I have good ideas as to where my dancers need more improvement but I do not feel comfortable not knowing cause and effect relationships at a quantitative level.  Specifically, I seek numerical evidence to determine which aspects of movement and anatomy affect the execution of certain steps in the vocabulary of Classical Ballet.  So far I have not found any good material covering this approach to performance improvement analysis. 

The general approach I plan to take is to get data on  input variables such as the angle of turnout, depth of plie and correlate this with the number of piroutte turns or the height of a grand jete.  The method will involve looking at film images and analyzing the body positioning based on stick models.  Quantitative data from this will then be analyzed using correlation analysis and other experimental analysis methods.  I'd like to know if anyone has ventured into this type of performance improvement research in Dance.  Feel free to comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment